Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Mural


I purchased this lesson from www.artprojectsforkids.org. She sends you a PDF file with each section the right size on individual pages. There is also a page that shows what the piece looks like when colored in. I put that piece on the Smart Board and added in the corresponding page numbers so the children could see which spot on the mural they were working on.

There are a lot of murals on the site and I thought I would give this one a try. It's a lot of fun and encourages the children to work in small and large groups, instead of individually, something we don't do often in the art room. The children had to constantly check with each other to make sure they were using the same colors for certain things. I liked the way it sparked teamwork in classes that don't always get along!

We printed this on copy paper. The website recommends using drawing paper, which I would do in the future, especially if I was going to have the children paint them or use oil pastel. For color pencils the copy paper worked just fine.

I've gotten a lot of compliments from the administration and other teachers! I'll be doing more murals in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment