Saturday, January 29, 2011

Matisse Name Plates

my very stapley example

I can't remember the website I saw this on but I believe it was www.deepspacesparkle.com

I showed the students artwork from Henri Matisse, particularly the cut paper ones, or the ones that appeared to be cut paper. We discussed and analyzed these works.

Next I gave the students a 6 x 15" sheet of white paper and various color scraps I've had left over. The students were to cut and paste their name and a border. The catch was that they could not draw the letters, we were 'drawing' with the scissor. I explained that the letters will have a unique and artistic style when we make them free form.  Plus drawing them would take too long and they come out small. I showed them some tricks, like using the negative scraps left over from a letter to make the same letter, and cutting 'into' the letter to cut out the inside instead of folding it. We used glue sticks to stick the letters and shapes down and then added designs and borders.

Some of the students figured out they could etch into the paper with the scissor to 'draw' on it. I reminded them that I rarely draw letters before I cut them out, and I think that gave them some confidence. They had fun and got into it regardless. I'll be doing this lesson again next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment