Thursday, January 20, 2011

Slab birds

This has been one of my more successful clay projects. They seem to hold together nicely and don't crack.

First I give each child a slab of clay.

Next I demonstrate drawing a bird's beak, head, body, and tail using one fluid line on the clay. When the children are satisfied they use a wooden dowel to puncture through the clay and they drag it, cutting out the shape. With the remaining clay, the children draw a wing, and then attach the two using 'scratch attach'. I keep a supply of slip mixed and divided into six bowls. Next, while I write the children's names with a toothpick and puncture a hole in their bird for a ribbon to later adorn, the children add features like beaks, eyes, and designs with the dowel.



The children then glaze their pieces when their birds return from the kiln.

After another trip to the kiln, the children glue on feathers and tie on strings to complete their ornaments!

No comments:

Post a Comment